Rocco Nacino measures up

CEBU, Philippines - Hunks who have yet to prove their acting mettle better watch their backs. At the rate Rocco Nacino is going, he's bound to snatch one meaty role after the other, and his fellow leading men could only watch on the sidelines with envy. Here's one proof that reality show runners-up like Rocco don't have to fret because with genuine talent and sheer determination, they could emerge the real winners in the long run. The 26-year-old is still basking from the glowing reviews of his performance as a principled young mayor in GMA News TV's "Bayan Ko," a six-episode series cited for its film-like quality and eye-opening plot. It aired its finale last Sunday, but rave reviews have inspired rumors of an international release and that of a book two. Rocco took pains in internalizing the role of an idealistic politico. "I went to our city hall in Pasig but I wasn't able to talk to the mayor. I talked to the city administrator instead and he broke down for me the tasks of a mayor so that I'll have some sort of understanding. This was really out of my comfort zone. I played a politician, one who's 35 to 40 years old. Iba na 'yung galaw nun. I also observed how our local politicians behaved." "I was worried na hindi ko magampanan ng maayos. With director Adolfo Alix Jr.'s guidance, I think I was able to give justice to the character," he added. Thanks to the project, he's now more abreast with political affairs and even hopes he could finally vote in the 2016 elections. "I wasn't aware what's going on with the government because I didn't grow up here. But I am more aware and interested now of the Philippine system. I also realized that there are still good people, and there is hope if everyone just strives to do what's right," he said. Rocco was also tapped to play Pedro Calungsod in a GMA News TV special last year. He'll be seen next in the Marian Rivera-Richard Gutierrez starrer "My Lady Boss." Now, he's working on "The Editha Burgos Story" movie helmed by Joel Lamangan where he plays the role of missing activist Jonas Burgos. Portraying his character's mother Editha Burgos is no less than Grand Slam Queen Lorna Tolentino. He's also starting production on an indie film for the Metro Manila Film Festival, which is the remake of "Ibong Adarna" with Gabby Concepcion. Rocco actually dreamed of becoming a pediatrician as a kid and took a Nursing course as his stepping stone, but "Starstruck" happened and the rest is history. He shared, "I'm fond of kids. I have relatives who are pediatricians but most of them are OB-Gynes. One uncle of mine has a clinic and I used to hang out there. I said to myself I want to be doctor and take care of kids just like him." While his current profession is miles away from his course, the registered nurse says the discipline he learned in school have also been a big help in his showbiz career. "In terms of being hardworking, alert, punctual, professional and always prepared–characteristics of a nurse, nagagamit ko bilang artista," he said. Asked what other roles he dreams of pursuing, the actor said he'd like to unleash the sports and martial arts enthusiast in him. "I prefer action-drama. 'Yun ang hinihingi ko ngayon para ma-apply ko ang knowledge ko sa martial arts. I want to up the level of action films. Nakikita naman natin ang mga films like The Bourne Legacy. I want the Philippines to do something like that. I've taken steps na. We've made a short film with my teacher in win chun and we're submitting it to GMA to produce it." He continues: "I started with jujitsu in college for self-defense. My interest grew and grew. Then I fell in love with Muay Thai. For Lam-ang, I had to learn Arnis and I fell in love with it, then win chung. Napasok lang siya sa lifestyle ko, though I have never figured in a fight in my whole life. I think the discipline is what interests me." Describing himself away from the limelight, Rocco said he "makes it a point to work out every day, have dinner with family. I don't stay at home in the sense that I have a lot of activities for the day. Hindi ako mahilig mag-stay sa bahay eh kasi sayang yung oras. I just want to live in the moment, sulitin talaga ang buhay. Kung pu-pwede, gumawa at gumawa ng maraming bagay, go around, meet new people and enjoy life." It might seem that he has everything down pat, yet Rocco admits even heartthrobs like him nurse insecurities. "I always get intimidated by other artists. Also, I'm not the tallest guy around."