Denied the mic, Mayor Mike irked at brgy kagawad

AN irate Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama has reportedly challenged the national president of the Barangay Councilors League of the Philippines (BCLP), Franklyn Ong to a fist fight Sunday night after he was not allowed to speak during the league’s general assembly.
While he did not categorically admit having made the challenge, Rama said, “Well inside (the SM Trade Hall)? No, not inside. Not inside,” he said when asked about the matter. Rama said he felt insulted when he was invited as city mayor to the BCLP gathering only to find out that he will not be allowed to address the crowd of over 600 people.
“I just felt bad because they are all decent people and the mayor gave them his presence and after that what happened? Now I tell you that when we (Ong and I) see each other, I will not make it public, but I am going to tell him something when we see each other,” he said.
Ong is a barangay kagawad of barangay Kasambagan that presided over the BCLP Cebu City Chapter general assembly last Sunday.
Ong apologized to Rama in a separate interview, but he clarified that the league did not intend to insult the mayor. The invitation which they sent the mayor did not also mention that he was supposed to deliver a message.
No speeches
“The BCLP board agreed to invite all incumbent officials (as a courtesy) but no speeches because it is election season,” he said.
At least 600 officials from Cebu City 80 barangays gathered at the SM Mall Trade Hall. He said Rep. Tomas Osmeña was also invited but opted to skip in order not to taint political color to the BCLP gathering.
City officials who attended the assembly were Rama and incumbent councilors Nida Cabrera, Sisinio Andales, Noel Wenceslao, Alvin Arcilla, Leah Japson and Michael Ralota. Everyone were acknowledged as they came.
Ong said that while they did not allow politicians to give their speeches during their assembly, they were free to roam around and mingle with their members because “we cannot stop them from shaking hands.”
Rama, he said, even went around to shake hands with people before he finally left. “You tell Franklyn Ong that I will box him in the face,” one BCLP member quoted the Mayor as saying. Rama that when he arrived at the BCLP gathering, he asked some BCLP officials when he was supposed to speak. “I was just surprised because I have been mayor and everywhere I am invited, as a courtesy, I am allowed to give a message as mayor. I was just surprised why I was invited and why it was included in my schedule (that I was supposed to speak) and then when I was told that I will not be allowed to speak,” Rama said.
“I have high respects to the mayor. I will apologize if he was misinformed. But it is clear that our invitation did not mention anything about him giving a message,” Ong said in Cebuano.
Ong said that he was prepared to meet Rama anytime and was willing to listen to what the mayor has to say to him. /Doris C. Bongcac, Chief of Reporters