Alex Medina: Heir apparent

CEBU, Philippines - We’ve seen too many showbiz spawns who bank on their surnames, yet have no genuine talent to speak of. Count out Alex Vincent Medina from that list, son of veteran character actor Pen Medina and younger brother of actor Ping Medina.
After chalking up credits in the indie film circuit, the enigmatic-looking young man finally took the limelight when he won his first Best Actor trophy in last December’s Cinema One Originals Film Festival.
Coincidentally, he was awarded for a film that paid homage to the 1985 classic “Scorpio Nights” which was helmed by Peque Gallaga and featured his father in daring scenes. Titled “Palitan,” the erotic psychological-drama likewise saw a fearless Alex who has no qualms undressing on-screen for the sake of what he believes his art.
The Best Actor honor quickly paved the way for his entry into mainstream TV. Alex unexpectedly found himself cast in the second season of ABS-CBN's primetime series “Ina Kapatid Anak” starring Kim Chiu, Maja Salvador, Enchong Dee and Xian Lim. In the talked-about soap, Alex plays the mysterious and revenge-driven Diego, who turns out to be the long-lost son of Cherry Pie Picache’s character.
Alex was studying Marketing in San Beda, before dropping out to become a full-time actor. He is currently being managed by Manny Valera upon the recommendation of another indie favorite, Alessandra de Rossi.
Invited by a former teacher, Alex was recently the guest speaker for the commencement day of the Exceptional Children’s Educational Center in Talamban, his first time in Cebu. Here was where we sat down and got to know the actor, who turned on his scruffy charm.
How have things changed since you’ve been cast in “Ina, Kapatid, Anak”?
I’m not used to all this attention and people calling you by your character’s name. But I’m enjoying and adjusting to it. To be honest, up to this day, I still haven’t absorbed the idea of being on TV and people recognizing me.
What made you decide to finally join showbiz?
I didn’t really choose this. It chose me. For the longest time, I was just acting in indie films. I did a 2012 movie for Cinema One Originals titled ‘Palitan’ by director Ato Bautista and I won Best Actor for that, while my cast-mate Mara Lopez also won Best Actress. The ABS-CBN management wanted me to audition for a role in the soap. I heard the role of Diego was originally for Rayver Cruz but he suddenly became busy for another project. I guess it was good timing that I just won Best Actor, so they chose me for the role. It’s fun to play someone dark and mysterious. If I could share what Enchong told me. He’s shooting a movie with Angel Locsin and she made this comment to Enchong, ‘Okay yung Diego character, ah. Mata pa lang…’
Coming from an indie background, were you culture-shocked during your first day on a soap opera set?
It took me a month to fully adjust. I used to just see Kim and Maja on TV. To be honest, I’m not a TV person so I wasn’t even familiar with the series. Unlike working on an indie film, TV work is more constant and you have to be big with your acting. My taping is M-W-F and that’s 24/7, so I had to get used to getting proper rest and eating well because I need the energy and presence of mind.
What was your first indie film?
I started out acting in student films for Fine Arts majors in UP. Then I did my first Cinemalaya film in 2008, titled ‘Concerto.’ It was about the Japanese era bombings. They say the indie circuit is now today’s equivalent of theater, because this is where actors get to experiment and really learn the craft.
How was it growing up with a known character actor for a father?
There was no pressure, first and foremost. I do my own thing. I had a workshop with my dad for this project. He always tells me to be truthful when acting. What goes on in the character’s mind, yun daw yung palagi kong panghawakan. I used to get teased because of the characters my dad portrays, but that’s okay with me. It’s a compliment even, because that means they remember the roles he played.
How many siblings do you have?
There are five of us; four boys and one girl. Our eldest has an entry for TV5’s CineFilipino 2013 Film Festival about guerillas and Joma Sison. There’s Ping, me, my sister and then our youngest also has a movie for the Quezon City Film Festival.
What film of your dad is your favorite?
‘Scorpio Nights,’ of course. I think I was 14 years old when I watched it. It already had cuts, but later on I saw the cut scenes on YouTube. Can I do what he did in the movie? What he did there was easy. ‘Palitan’ was a tribute to ‘Scorpio Nights,’ so in some sense…the peeping Tom in ‘Scorpio Nights’ was similar to my character in ‘Palitan.’
Have you accepted the fact that you’ll always be under his huge shadow, which is often the dilemma of children of famous parents?
I have big shoes to fill. Not necessarily his shoes, but I have my own shoes to fill as an actor. I still have a long way to go. There is pressure because he’s good, but I don’t want to dwell on that. I’ll just always put my best foot forward. And my dad raised me to think that I should always please myself first and foremost.
Who are the actors you’d love to work with? And the actors you admire?
My dad. I have yet to act alongside him. I’m actually excited to work with him, but I pray when that happens, I would be ready by then. Among the international actors, I like James Dean, Marlon Brando, Ewan McGregor and Daniel Day-Lewis. In the Philippines, I think Jay Manalo is very good but because he is stereotyped, he is underrated. I also admire John Lloyd Cruz.
We see your dad on TV with a serious persona and sometimes politically vocal. How is he at home?
He’s easy-going. He allows us to learn from our mistakes. He forced me to act, but eventually he got tired doing that (laughs).
What is a common characteristic among the members of your family?
We’re righteous. Just do what is right. If someone offends you, you have to assert yourself. Especially now that I joined showbiz, a lot of times, you don’t know everyone’s real motives. If you’re too kind, people will get their way with you. So you have to know what you want, or else they will eat you up.
Had you not been acting today, what profession would you have pursued?
I would still be trying to pursue the rock and roll dream. I’m the vocalist for a band called Alex in Wonderland. Our genre is post-hard core. I also draw. I do storyboards for music videos and commercials.
Who are your showbiz crushes?
Anne Curtis; and Jessy Mendiola is very hot.
What do you look for in a girl?
She has to be a cowboy and have a sense of humor. I’m an old soul, so you won’t see me going out often.
What do you do with your showbiz paycheck?
Right now, I’m saving up because I want to move out. I currently live with my mom. Kahit lupa lang mabili ko muna, I’ll be happy with that.