Cheers to a Triumph5 years!

CEBU, Philippines - In a ratings-driven industry where television shows come and go quicker than you can say “blink-and-you-missed-it,” lasting on air for five years and counting, and unrivalled at that, is a feat worth celebrating, don’t you think? MagTV Na!, ABS-CBN Cebu’s magazine-type Sunday morning show is marking five triumphant years for the whole month of April with exciting summer-themed episodes, a home make-over for one lucky viewer and mall shows to personally thank their supporters. While the program has changed hosts over the years, its present faces — Phoebe Fernandez, Borgie Cabigas and Jonathan Cimafranca — have done a great job of keeping viewers engrossed with their vivacious and relatable personalities. Phoebe has been with the show for four years, and the exposure has opened a slew of other hosting and acting stints for the 25-year-old Nursing graduate. Aside from MagTV Na!, she reports the entertainment news for TV Patrol Central Visayas and anchors the youth-oriented radio talk show “Estoryahee” Saturday mornings over DyAB 1512 with Roy Empleo and Christine Fernandez. The bubbly gal also starred in the hilarious Cinema One indie film entry “My Paranormal Romance.” Borgie, a Mr. Cebu 2009 title-holder, joined MagTV Na! July of 2010, when he was one among two applicants who won the show’s search for a new male host. Music is this buff guy’s other passion, being the guitarist of a metal band that performs two to three times a month in local bars. He also runs a small clothing line. Twenty-one-year old Jonathan entered the scene June of 2011 when another host bade goodbye. A Management Accounting graduate from the University of San Carlos, Jonathan is also a Victory church leader who helps out in his family’s business, but whose ultimate plan is to put up his own venture in the near future. The fun-loving trio opened up about their MagTV Na! adventures, lessons learned and the genuine friendship that binds them together. What was your first assignment, and were you quickly comfortable in front of the camera? Phoebe: My first guesting for the show was for Panagsogod Festival in Sogod, Cebu. That was August 2009. We did a feature for a known beach resort. It was hard at first because I felt awkward, but after a while, I was already enjoying myself. Borgie: It was also for the Panagsogod Festival in Sogod. After the search ended and the winners decided, we were given the assignment right away. We certainly didn’t have time to celebrate. At first, I wasn’t completely comfortable in front of the camera. However, with the help of hosts Blinky [de Leon] and Phoebe, I think I did well. The girls were very helpful and gave me good advice on how to act and speak. Jonathan: It was during the Halad sa Kapamilya back in 2011. It was hard for me at first because there were a lot of people around and I’m a shy type of person. But the hosts, Blinky, Phoebe, and Borgie and the crew of MagTV Na! helped me out. They made it easier and more comfortable for me. What was the best episode you’ve personally done so far? Phoebe: If I were to choose from the many unforgettable episodes we’ve done, it would have to be when I worked as a trash collector for a day. That was when Blinky and McBilly Sy were still my co-hosts. What a humbling experience that was! We rode on a garbage truck, picked trash, and brought these to the dumpsite. It was one of those episodes that really touched and moved me. Borgie: With the three years I have been with MagTV, I did a couple of memorable segments. I think two of the most memorable I did were in 2010 when I was asked to be a fish porter in the Pasil pier and in 2011 where we were assigned in Mantalungon, Dalaguete as vegetable farmers. It was a humbling experience for me because there, I realized the amount of energy spent just for food to reach our tables. Not a lot of people appreciate that. Jonathan: I can’t really pinpoint my best because each is unique in its own way and I enjoy doing each one but the best part of an episode for me is when we have a “Kamags Bida Guest,” where we give our Kamags a chance to be a part of the show by hosting with us. Our Kamags are the fuel that keeps us going and seeing the overflowing joy that transcends through their eyes just ignites me to do more every week for our viewers. How do the three of you bond away from the cameras? Phoebe: I am really close with Borgie and Jonathan off-cam. So the bonding and chemistry you see on TV is the result of our real-life friendship. We go to the malls, watch movies, eat together, do foolishness together and just talk. I’m very comfortable with the two of them, and I have no regrets working with them on the show. They just really love annoying me sometimes (laughs). Borgie: During tapings or when we are travelling out of town, we throw jokes at one another. Jonathan and I sometimes team up to make fun of Phoebe. Don’t get us wrong, we love the girl. It’s just plain fun. Jonathan: We make it a point that we spend time with each other off-cam so that it would come out naturally on TV. The usual things we do are eat, watch movies, hang out, drink milk tea and play basketball, except Phoebe of course (laughs). Is there a downside to being a local TV personality? Phoebe: Not really downside, just limitations. In a way, your life is semi-public. I don’t really want to make it all public though. I still want to make some details of my life private. Borgie: Aside from not being able to ride a jeepney without getting a familiar look from fellow passengers, all is cool! Jonathan: None, I guess. I take it as an advantage. Being on TV gives me an opportunity to connect, help, serve, and inspire our Kamags and fellow Kapamilya. Which interview subject made you the most nervous? Phoebe: I was most nervous when I interviewed the country’s King of Talk himself, Mr. Boy Abunda. I was so used to seeing him on TV, admiring the way he interviews people, and now I’m gonna be interviewing him? The pressure was huge! But I must say, he has been, out of the many, the most intellectual and straightforward person I’ve ever interviewed. One of the many interviews that I always replay over and over again! Borgie: I have interviewed a couple of local and national celebrities but I would have to say Kris Aquino! She is the queen of all media. It was an honor to interview her. Plus, she gave me compliments. Nice! Jonathan: Sarah Geronimo. Being a host interviewing a star was nerve-wracking for me. And when I heard her sing live, it spiraled up to a whole new level. Her voice was breathtaking! And it was during a press conference, a lot of people were there especially the media so there was no room for mistakes. Which interview subject were you happiest to meet? Phoebe: That would probably be seeing John Lloyd Cruz in person and interviewing him. He has been my crush since high school. And I never thought I can actually meet and greet him in person. It was one of my cloud nine moments. Borgie: Jodi Sta. Maria. Since her “Tabing Ilog” days, she had already wooed me with her looks and sweet smile. Even with the success of “Be Careful With My Heart” and her rising popularity, she remained humble and sweet. Jonathan: Meeting the Azkals and having courtside seats during their game here in Cebu. In short, I was really close so it was truly a highlight for me. I’m a sporty guy and being up close with players of a sport that I love undoubtedly gave me overflowing joy! Name a host whose hosting style/interview skills you admire. Phoebe: Definitely Boy Abunda. The way he handles people and asks questions in a no-holds barred manner but still maintains respect, absolutely only a few people can do that. Borgie: I always love the humor of Mike Rowe (host of Dirtiest Jobs with Mike Rowe) of Discovery Channel. I want to emulate his style of hosting. His wit is quick and his guts extraordinary. Jonathan: Here in the Philippines, I really admire Boy Abunda because he knows what he’s talking about and knows what he wants you to say. It’s so obvious that he spent time knowing and researching on his subject. He digs deep too! And he doesn’t just prepare questions and asks these one by one but he formulates questions from what you say. He will not stop until he gets what he wants. What can viewers expect with your show’s fifth anniversary? Phoebe: Five times the fun. Five times the travel. Five times the surprises. And absolutely five times your usual MagTV Na! Borgie: Wow! Five years? Time flies fast! I believe it’s going to be a good year for MagTV. New exciting things are coming. New host? Probably! Something all Kamags should look forward to. Jonathan: A lot! We will be taking viewers to a summer destination in the Philippines, we have a home makeover, and my favorite part, more time and fellowship with our Kamags, being with them and getting to know them first-hand in our mall shows around Cebu. How did being a MagTV Na! host change your perspective on certain things? Phoebe: It has made me more mature in seeing things on different avenues. It gave me experiences that molded me to becoming even better. It made me humble, fulfilled and learned with the different kinds of people I’ve dealt with. And more so, it made me the Phoebe I never imagined I could be. Borgie: I keep a constant check of my personal life, and I would say I haven’t really changed. If I did, I became more humble. MagTV made me an instrument to educate, entertain and inspire people in ways I sometimes can’t fathom. Jonathan: Through MagTV, I realized that I am blessed so that I can be a blessing to others. Not necessarily blessed with material things, but being blessed with a job, blessed with being in a show that gives inspiration, information, happiness and laughter to our viewers. It humbled me because being on the show became a channel to serve other Filipinos. Catch the trio on their MagTV Na! Grand Eyeball event at the Ayala Activity Center today (April 20), 4 p.m.