Sharing the PFDS Experience through the years

CEBU, Philippines - My young mind never ceases to explore new avenues in life.
The avenue of dance made me redirect my professional calling, sacrificing a paramedical course to being a school choreographer and Physical Education teacher.
I have never, in my entire life, heard of the existence of the Philippine Folk Dance Society until I learned about it when I joined the NCCA National Dance Congress in Dumaguete in 2002. I have never even heard of the NCCA National Dance Congress until I had friends at the University of San Carlos Main Campus (Cebu City) who encouraged me to join the said workshop. And, I never ever found my way into what I am now if I did not have my first win in the Sinulog Festival in 2002, when some envious entities ostracized my first work. As a result of that challenge, I swore to explore and learn more by attending more dance workshops. (My medical profession was not that much help to the basics of folk dance and the like).
And so in 2003, I embarked on my third trip to Manila and found out what I missed in so many years. The PFDS National Dance Workshop was held at the Folk Arts Theater. It was my first time to see many people dancing for a common cause. At the time, I did not know about dance notations and such, not even basic dance step fundamentals. Luckily, the review of basic dance step fundamentals gave me an idea of the whole Filipino dance scenario. I’m sure many dance enthusiasts and neophytes can relate to this experience.
Of the many dance workshops I can recall, it was in 2003 that the choice of dances, for me, was very interesting, relatable, performable and spectacular. It was also the first time that colored pictures of dancers in costume were printed into that violet Sayaw book. I memorized by heart the dances Kinaransa, Malaguena, Pantomina de Sorsogon, Karatong, Uyaoy and the dance Putungan, the latter when combined with basic Sinulog steps made me win first place for the first time in the 2004 Sinulog Grand Festival Sinulog-based Category. I beat a very strong out-of-town competitor about to make its grand slam for three years in a row. The numerous afternoon cultural shows also encouraged me to make my own dance repertoire with my dance troupe in the school where I was working. It was also during that time that I learned to ride the LRT from Vito Cruz to Carriedo/Quiapo, via jeepney to Divisoria, on my own. That was why when somebody asked, “Asan si Dax?” (Where is Dax?) The reply would ludicrously be, “Andun sa Divisoria nagwoworkshop.” (There at the Divisoria doing workshop.) That was because I was late twice in the afternoon session caused by the visit to Divisoria.
At the time, many cultural productions such as that of the Ramon Obusan Folkloric Group, Kaloob, Lahing Batangan and Barangay dance troupes created avant-garde performances at the Tanghalang Balagtas stage worthy of international recognition. They inspired many dance routines that I choreographed and performed in my locality. I caught a glimpse of the unique choreography and dance performance of the Bayanihan Dance Troupe at the Malate Plaza when fellow Cebuano choreographers Walter Betito and Gatino Nacario invited me to join when visit they visited the place.
And so it came to be that each year offered something more and something else to learn. The next two workshops were fruitful because I have learned so many technical terms, dance movements and ideas that made it easy for me to teach students and dancers either in school or in the field as my rise above mediocrity as a choreographer enabled more LGU clients to request for my services. I even managed to train two contingents and win the top prizes in a single festival competition. It was in these years that I became very close personal friends with the PFDS national officers such as the very dashing and supportive Dr. Larry Gabao (Manila), the ever beautiful Ms. Josefina Guillen (Cultural Center of the Philippines), the very thoughtful Mr. Franco Velas (Manila), “Mommy” Mila Ancheta who had so much belief in me that I became a perennial judge of Pattaraday Festival in her hometown in Santiago City, Isabela, for the past two years, the very “dancerous” “Mommy” Cora Agustin (Mindanao State University), the very “malambing” Sirs Edwin Masangkay (Aklan) and Ed Santos (Manila), Sir Tony Lee (Aklan), Sir Lambert Cruz (Manila), “Mommy” Noemi Belosillo (Manila) and the very friendly Sir Rodel Fronda (Bulacan). Moreover, I also became friends with a lot of people coming from different regions. And for the very first time, I was proud to have an Ifugao friend in the person of Ms. Martina Bagiw. She was also my supplier of authentic costumes and accessories. She even gave me an Ifugao translation of a Cebuano speech for our Ifugao dance routine.
2005 offered Sayaw dances such as Bayluhan, Kasadyahan, Komintang (the dance opening salvo during the workshop), Sinakiki and Silong sa Ganding. The Kasadyahan concept wowed the crowd in the Sinulog performance of my contingent.
It was in 2006 that the dances were echoed to tailor-fit the needs of a local festival in my hometown: Compostela, Cebu – the Caballo de Compostela festival. Dances such as Habanera Botoleña, Maglalatik, Polkabal, Alcamfor and Cariñosa played vital roles as concepts during the presentation of our festival.
In 2007, PFDS workshops were conducted out-of-town which broadened its avenues to the numerous venues in the offing. I lost track of the out-of-town experiences except in 2008 where it was held at the Cebu City Sports Center and during my comeback in 2011. It was during these times that I found out that PFDS adopted a new name, the Samahang Tagapagtaguyod ng Katutubong Sayaw ng Pilipinas.
The 2011, PFDS National workshop in Bago City, Negros Occidental became the epitome of my experience as I was not only a participant but was now a researcher and presenter of the Cebuano folk dance Pastores de Naga. It was a result of a painstaking endeavor in the quiet boondocks of Tagjaguimit, Naga City, Cebu that brought about by my Masters degree’s qualitative thesis requirement. Now, dances like Pastores Talisay, Pastores Tubog, Pastores Kawit, Bailo de los Pastores, and the like, have its latest addition in Pastores dance – the Pastores de Naga, Cebu. Unfortunately, there has been no musical reproduction produced by PFDS for this dance even as I write this article. But one can kindly log on to “Youtube” and type “Pastores de Naga” to be able to download the original on-site recorded and edited music.
The brief stay in Bago City was interesting because it was the first time that I stayed with a foster family, the Lavadia family, who were so hospitable and caring. A lot of participants stayed in foster homes because pension homes and hostels were scarce. The social night-out was a lot of fun.
It was during this workshop in Bago City that the Philippine Folk Dance Society Cebu Province Chapter was organized. It spearheaded a series of echo dance workshops in Cebu which catered to the needs of local clients in the province.
Last year’s Batangas workshop delighted many participants with the aircon venue and memorable folk dances such as Jota Pangasinana, Pandanggo Rinconada, Pukol and Katsutsa. It was for the first time that I witnessed locals perform the Subli. I also had the opportunity to mingle with my friends from Panay. The social night was star-studded. I could not imagine any other LGU sponsoring a showcase like that. I salute the initiative and leadership of the Batangas City LGU and friends Lois Borbon and Noel Silang. The workshop prompted the PFDS-CP Chapter to conduct an echo workshop tailored to the Caballo festival.
This year, another exciting program awaits as the national workshop goes back to its original venue at the Tanghalang Balagtas (Folk Arts Theater) in May. With the “Samahan” (PFDS), the possibilities are endless. Each year’s experience opens many avenues and horizons for development and self-improvement. We come not only for the knowledge imparted but the camaraderie and candor that binds us together as one. Together we build a strong nation. Together we keep our traditions and cultural fires burning. Together we share the magnificent experience.
I came to learn but I got more than what I bargained because I have not only savored this rich experience but I also have earned a big family – the PFDS family. I am sure most, if not all of the participants, share the same sentiment.
Mabuhay ang Samahang Tagapagtaguyod ng Katutubong Sayaw ng Pilipinas! Mabuhay ang PFDS!