Kitchie Nadal teams up with Cebuana filmmaker for screenwriting and acting debut

MANILA, Philippines - The country’s pop rock princess is back with a bang.
Grasping fully well that one key to staying in the game is exploring different creative avenues, Kitchie Nadal took a cue from international musicians who did just that. Fans rejoice, for not only is the singer-songwriter releasing an awaited fourth CD, she also has a full-length indie film to complement it.
“The idea started when I saw movies of Bjork and The Who, and these inspired me to also come up with a story behind my new songs. Especially that nowadays, it seems easier to make your own film. It sounded like an interesting way of selling my fourth album ‘Malaya’,” Kitchie revealed to The FREEMAN.
In 2000, Bjork starred in the musical drama “Dancer in the Dark,” the soundtrack of which was released as the album "Selmasongs" written mainly by the Icelandic singer. Her film premiered in that same year’s Cannes Film Festival, winning the Palme d'Or and a Best Actress award for Bjork. One of the songs in the album, “I've Seen It All,” was also nominated for an Oscar for Best Song.
English rock band The Who, on the other hand, is credited as one of the first bands to make films based on their albums.
Kitchie was on a world tour for her album “Love Letters” when she met Cebuana filmmaker Janice Perez in New York City during a benefit concert around December of 2009. They first collaborated on a music video, until the subject of Kitchie’s movie project came up. “I told her that I’ve been writing a story, but I have yet to finish it. Then we decided to work on it together while we were in New York,” she said.
Kitchie’s concept was a modern-day adaptation of the Bible story of Martha and Mary, the two sisters in the gospel of Luke, set in the world of the Philippine rock music industry.
“It’s a family drama of two sisters trying to break into the music scene. A trip to Cebu City would change the family dynamics and family history would resurface because of the pressure to achieve fame,” Janice said of their film titled “The Muses.”
Playing the two sisters are Kitchie herself as Marie San Lucas and former “Wowowee” host Janelle Jamer as Martha San Lucas. Janelle was a guest performer in a concert Kitchie did in Kuwait, and this was how Kitchie thought of bringing the former on board.
“I think a lot of Filipino families can relate to our story, because there may be a lot of drama in our lives, but we are good at coping with these in a comedic manner. We’re not trying to be comedians, but it’s the circumstances the characters are faced with that are funny,” Kitchie pointed out.
Kitchie and Janice submitted their script to a new independent film festival called CineFilipino, and as luck would have it, “The Muses” was chosen as one of the fest’s eight finalists among over 140 entries. It is the only selected entry coming from the Vis-Min region.
A project of the PLDT-Smart Foundation, MediaQuest, Studio 5 (film arm of TV5) and Unitel Entertainment, CineFilipino gave a production grant of P1.5M to each of the eight finalists, the biggest seed money offered among all indie festivals in the country.
All eight films will be shown during the CineFilipino Film Festival scheduled June 26 to July 3 in selected Metro Manila theaters. “The Muses” will also have simultaneous screenings in Cebu.
Filming for “The Muses,” done entirely in Cebu, began last April 29. A few of their shooting locations are Benedicto College, Best Western Lex Hotel, The Outpost, St. James Amusement Park, Department of Agriculture in Mandaue City and many more.
“It’s such a thrill for me to present Cebu in a different way,” said 31-year old Janice, who hails from Bantayan Island. She was New York-based for the past 10 years before coming home last December to work on her first full-length film.
Janice is an Accounting graduate from the University of San Carlos. She completed a six-month course on 16MM Filmmaking at the New York Film Academy. Her most notable work to date is the 2009 short film “Sabongero” which she wrote, directed, and edited in Cebu City. It was accepted into the Short Film Corner program of the 2009 Cannes, holding the distinction of being the first film to use the Cebuano language that screened in the prestigious festival.
For the cast and production staff of “The Muses,” Janice is utilizing mostly Cebuanos. Renowned cinematographer-director Ruel Dahis Antipuesto’s Above-The-Line Productions is in charge of production.
A few Cebu-based cast members include Ranz Andri Medina, Chicoy Romualdez, Josh Manning, Eli Razo, Angeli Gomez, Franco Reyes, Jenny Ozaraga, Yannick Hofe, Badidi Labra and Publio Briones III.
The film will also showcase the music of Janelle, Tessa Manto, Jan Paul Desierto, Kris Villarino of Pain in the Neck, Budoy, Vanya Deutsch, Hans Florentino and Dennis Martin, although a bulk of the soundtrack is from Kitchie’s “Malaya” album.
Famed for her lyrical prowess as proven by her monster hits “Huwag na Huwag mong Sasabihin,” “Bulong,” and “Same Ground,” did screenwriting prove a challenge to a first-timer like Kitchie?
She replied, “When writing songs, I take it one step at a time that’s why I don’t feel the pressure so much. One day at a time, one song at a time. In writing this film, I felt the same way when I was starting out in my music career. It was very organic. It felt like I was just playing around. I also had this conscious effort to not be distracted with my fears of whether I’ll come up with a good film or not.”
While Bjork was admittedly a strong inspiration, Kitchie said she is not expecting to harvest acting accolades just like her.
“More than awards, I value more the experience and the things I learn throughout the process. If it’s always this fun, I definitely see myself writing a second one. The fact that we were able to join CineFilipino out of 146 entries is already a huge accomplishment for me as a first-time film writer.”
Kitchie said she had received acting offers in the past, particularly in indie films and TV, but declined because the indie roles were too risqué for her comfort while the long hours on a TV set isn’t something she has the patience for.
Asked what the public can expect from her as an actress, Kitchie pleadingly joked, “Please don’t expect anything.” On a serious note, Kitchie said she prepared for this acting debut through workshops with friends from the film industry.
Her co-star Janelle said that fans would be treated to a Kitchie not everyone is used to seeing.
“You all see Kitchie as serious, but meron siyang tinatagong kakulitan. When she cracks a joke, binubulong lang niya sa akin. Sabi ko, dapat hindi ganun. Dapat ilabas natin yan sa pelikula. I can immediately imagine how she will deliver it. I know she can, she’s just trying to repress that side of her,” Janelle quipped.
As for her new album “Malaya,” this was already released late last year in Singapore and will be out in the Philippines this June, just in time for the release of “The Muses” at CineFilipino.
“‘Malaya’ was recorded in New York. I was away for almost two years. I went to Europe, Middle East and Canada, until I ended up in New York where I met a lot of bands. One of these was an interracial band, and I just happened to fit well into their group. I recorded the title track ‘Malaya’ with them and we also shot a music video,” Kitchie shared.
Performing at live shows and recording with bands weren’t her only preoccupations abroad. The 32-year-old also took time to be of help to those in need, similar to what she does in the Philippines.
“I also did missions. I volunteered for a shelter for the homeless. I have a street-kids ministry in the Philippines, so I try to do the same volunteer work when I’m abroad. It’s a different experience in a sense that first world countries have different issues compared to ours. They have money, but they still have troubled kids. So those two years I was away was really a great experience and it reflected a lot on my fourth album,” said Kitchie, who holds a double degree in Psychology and Education.
“Compared to my previous albums where the songs were introverted like ‘Same Ground’ and ‘Huwag na Huwag Mong Sasabihin’ – those were so emotional and self-reflecting – but this new album seems to be inspired by tragedies and social problems,” she added.
A few might raise eyebrows why she spent so much time away or why she pours her help abroad when so much more at home need it most. Kitchie explained that leaving her comfort zone is something she needs as an artist.
“I sometimes feel I’m being selfish every time I feel like leaving the Philippines. But I feel I need to do it to seek inspiration. It’s weird that when you travel abroad, you get to treasure more why God created you as a Filipino. It’s when you’re surrounded by different nationalities that your distinctness as a Filipino comes out. You cannot deny feeling burnt out because of doing the same things over and over again. So that’s how I deal with it —by going away, resting and finding ways to grow.