‘It’s boom or bust!’

DAVAO City--Rey “Boom-Boom” Bautista enters another significant part of his career tonight in which a win or a loss could determine if he belongs with the elite of the featherweight division. Bautista is defending his World Boxing Organization (WBO) International featherweight title against Mexican Jose Ramirez in the main event of Pinoy Pride XIX – “Mexican Invasion” at the University of Southeastern Philippines (USEP) tonight. “If he thinks he’s knocking me out, then I’m also thinking of knocking him out,” said Bautista. “Every fight is so important to me. I really want another shot at a world title.” Both Bautista and Ramirez tipped the scales at identical 126 pounds. Although Bautista is heavily favored, Ramirez and his trainer Miguel Obeso are confident of their chances because they have sensed fear in the eyes of the 26-year-old Filipino banger. “He’s nervous. He’s scared,” said Obeso. “He’s scared because he realizes what he’s really fighting against.” Ramirez said that he’ll have a sizeable weight advantage over Bautista and expects to be 20 pounds bigger on fight night. “I trained hard. I’m in excellent condition. I feel stronger now that I know people love me here,” said Ramirez. Bautista is 34-2 with 25 knockouts, while the 25-year-old Ramirez is 24-3 with 17 knockouts. ALA Promotions president Michael Aldeguer said that Bautista’s career depends on his performance tonight, in which a win could earn him a possible title eliminator or even a world title shot. Ramirez, a relatively unknown boxer in the international scene, wants to spoil Bautista’s plans and make a name for himself by beating Bautista. “We’re going to pressure Bautista, the same thing with what Ruiz did in his last fight. We’re going to feel him out in the first round, study him in rounds two and three and look for his weakness before attacking,” said Obeso. Oriental and Pacific Boxing Federation (OPBF) flyweight king Rocky Fuentes (34-6-2, 20 KOs) is in a crucial 10-rounder against young Mexican slugger Juan Kantun (20-3-3, 15 KOs). “It’s a very important fight for me. My opponent should not be taken for granted because he is youth world champion. I will do my best not to lose. If there is an opportunity, I’ll knock him out,” said Fuentes, who is ranked third in both the World Boxing Council (WBC).